Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept for you in heaven, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 1 Peter 1:3-5

Monday, August 13, 2007

Found: God's Will

On Saturday I finished reading a little booklet by John MacArthur, Jr. entitled Found: God's Will. I have read this book more than once and I have found that upon each reading I am encouraged and reminded of some good biblical principles concerning God's will. MacArthur seeks to answer a question that so many Christians ask: "What is God's will for my life and how do I find it?" Without going into too much detail (because I hope you will read it yourself), he basically says that God's will for each of us is to be "saved, Spirit-filled, sanctified, submissive, and suffering" (54). Each of these principles is explained further in the book, but suffice it to say here that MacArthur's confidence in putting these forward as God's sure will for a person is that they are each found clearly in Scripture. He also explains that we can not expect God to reveal any further will for our lives to us until we are first committed to obeying the principles which have been clearly laid out for us in His Word. I'll end my discussion of this book with one quote which I think encompasses MacArthur's overall perspective on this topic: "[T]he will of God is not primarily a place. The will of God is not, first of all, for you to go there or work here. The will of God concerns you as a person. If you are the right you, you can follow your desires and you will fulfill His will" (60). I hope you will read and enjoy this book as much as I have and may it bless you and point you to Christ!

1 comment:

Paula said...

I have not read this book, Kristy, and am intriqued now that you have quoted the author. Thank you.
May God Bless.